This memory is the accompanying embarrassing memory to the Student Government rap that I did in the 5th grade. I can't remember exactly if this happened in the 4th or the 5th grade, but here we go. In one of those two grades I tried out for and won the role as Lana Ladybug in the school play Goin' Buggy. You know, it taught life lessons and skills using the world of bugs as a metaphor. So there were two complete sets of "actors" so all of the kids got a chance to perform, and who ever was not doing it on one day had to be in the choir. So, my group went first and we did the play for the kindergarten-2nd grade part of the school. I was Lana Ladybug, and I had a whole song to sing by myself with backup dancer guys in top hats with antennas and everything. The song went something like "That's no way to treat a Laaaadaybuggg.....NO! No way at all *do do do dooo do....*" It was genius work, really. And I really have the sheet music somewhere still to this day. Let's recount what I was wearing, next, shall we? Black leotard, black leggings, black crushed velvet skirt, bright red high heels we bought on consignment, and a red feather boa. My hair was super curly and I had a sparkly red headband that my mom attached pipe cleaners to so I had antennas. When telling this story to Jennie she was upset that I forgot to mention the ridiculous earrings I was wearing, which are clearly visible in the picture I sent her, which is the same as the one below. The earrings were my favorite ones. When I was younger (and still to this day, but on a much less 90's level) I LOVED jewelry. Especially my mom's costume jewelry, which she had in abundance. The earrings I am wearing in the picture are clip ons with gobs of fake pearls. Looking back I can remember wearing these earrings and the other pair that my mom had like them on a daily basis I loved them so much. Now as an adult I am mad at my parents for not telling my that I looked like a little baby hooker wearing those earrings. Thanks guys. Looking at the picture again I believe, in addition to the headband with pipe cleaners, I am wearing a black and red polka-dotted bow. And bright red lipstick. LOVE IT!! Ok, but the point of the story is that I did my number and it went off smashingly! So the next day the other group was performing the play for the 3-5 graders and I was in jean shorts, a school shirt, and tennis shoes in the choir. The girl who was playing Lana that day is named Faith Ann, and she proceeded to walk out on stage, freeze, and run back off again. My mom taped both shows, and all you can hear in the tape of the second show is my music teacher yelling at my mom to get me on stage. So there I was in my jean shorts, school shirt, tennis shoes, and a red feather boa. And I did the number smashingly again! I can cite that event as an actual change in my level of confidence in myself. I feel bad that Faith Ann has horrible memories of it, but whatever. So here is a pic of me as Lana in full ladybug regalia.
The person on the left is my friend Deana, who I have written about in previous posts. The person on the right is my friend Emily, who I am sure will be mentioned at some point in more detail, as her house was the hub of my horseback riding experiences and Barbie play dates.
No comments:
Post a Comment