Friday, April 20, 2007

J. Crew

As I signed for my new pair of J. Crew chinos yesterday I realized that I have had a love affair with J. Crew clothes for a long long time. One of my absolute favorite outfits of all time was an outfit from J. Crew. Unfortunately the hands of time have not been kind enough to my butt and hips to allow me to still fit into it, but I still love it none the less. I first found out about J. Crew the summer in between 8th and 9th grade. I just graduated from college and am still buying their stuff, so that tells you how long it has been. In the 9th grade I had an amazing opportunity to go to New York City with my choir class, and I bought this outfit specifically for all the trendy sight-seeing I would be doing. It was a khaki mini skirt with a drawstring and a red cotton tank top with a yellow screen-printed cricket with "J. Crew" underneath it. I know it sounds silly, but I as thin as a stick and it looked really cute on me! I wore that skirt until it basically fell apart, and to this day I will not give either of them away. I remember that I wore those big Doc Marten sandals with that outfit because that was what was so very cool at the time, but in the pictures they make it look like I have Ronald McDonald feet! I kinda do anyway, so the shoes did NOT help. I was wearing that outfit the first time I ever went to Starbucks, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. That was just such a fun time in my life, and when I think about it I always see myself in that outfit. I also bought my very first "real" swimsuit from J. Crew. It was a dark blue bikini with a little bow in the center of the top. I could never ever wear it now simply because I no longer have the chest of a 12-year-old boy, but again, I have never been able to give it away. Well, that is just a sample of my love affair with J. Crew. Thankfully the clothes have matured with me, but I think it speaks to my sense of self that I was shopping via catalog at a "grown-up" store at age 13. I am wearing my new pair of J. Crew favorite-fit chinos that I got yesterday as I type, and they are wonderful and soft and long enough for me, so keepers all around. www.jcrew.com


A sample of what I am wearing right now:)

No comments: