Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sunshine

When I was younger I thought the dots you see when you close your eyes after looking at the sun had meaning. Of course grown ups told me that if you look directly at the sun you will go blind, which is true, but I now know I was not in immediate danger. When I would accidentally look right at the sun then close my eyes, I would see these dots that had rings, almost like tree rings. I am not sure if anyone else saw them in that exact form, but I used to think that the rings were my countdown to blindness. Each time I looked at the sun, one ring would be taken away, and I would be that much closer to being blind. Thinking about it as a adult it seems ridiculous, which is why I wanted to write it down. It turns out that my theory is not true, but I just had to be able to grasp an explanation as a child. I was like that about most things, but this is the specific memory that stuck out at the moment.

No comments: