Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sad Day

In my senior year of high school I had to take half a semester of gym. Fortunately for me (NEITHER of us felt fortunate) my friend Susan (same as from last post) had to do the same thing. Our relationship had been through some tough stuff between ninth grade and then, but thankfully by the time we had to be the the only two seniors in a gym class together, much less the only people each other knew, we were pretty much over it. I don't know if any of you remember these, but at my high school we had that assembly once a year where certain people are chosen to die in drug or alcohol-related accidents, which are re-enacted out on the road in front of the school. There is lots of fake blood, real ambulances, and the people who are chosen to die cannot talk to anyone they know or love for like three days. At the end of the thing there is a school assembly where there are funerals and the parents read eulogies, and other horrible things like that. Up until then I did not know anyone involved, so I never cared about the stupid assemblies. I think it was because only seniors participated, but I am not sure. Anyway, that particular event happened while Susan and I were in gym class together, and it just so happened that one of my best friends Stephanie, and one of mine and Susan's mutual friends Andrew, were two of the victims. Stephanie's mom, who was like a second mom to me, got up and read a note that Steph had written, supposedly before she died. It was one of the most horrible things I have ever had to sit through. I was totally unprepared for it. Susan was doing OK because she was not that close to Stephanie, but then something even worse happened. A casket, supposedly carrying Andrew came out, decked out with military regalia and American flags, and they played Taps (Andrew goes to Westpoint). Basically, Susan and I lost it. Looking back I feel that the school has a sick, sick mind. It was horrific, and I have very rarely cried that hard, especially with the whole school in the room with me. Susan and I bonded that day I think, and it is thanks to her that I was able to get through that horrible assembly, and senior gym class.

No comments: